Lost Passport Requests
If the current passport is lost or stolen, please make a complaint to the local Police station and a Police report is required to apply for a new passport.
A Sri Lankan citizen by descent or by registration can apply for a Sri Lankan Passport. Ordinary passports are valid for 10 years from the date of issuance unless otherwise endorsed.
New Sri Lankan passports in lieu of a lost/damaged Passport are issued by the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Battaramulla, Sri Lanka. Applications received at the Embassy are dispatched to the Department of Immigration & Emigration in Sri Lanka. The new passports issued in Sri Lanka are then dispatched back to this Embassy for handing over to the applicants.
Apply NewPassport in Lieu of Lost Passport
1. Documents Required:
- Duly completed application form and. (Form ‘K’- 35 A) Download Here, (COMPLAINT FORM LOST OF PASSPORT)- Download here, (FORM D), Download Here
- Three clear photographs with blue background 3.5 x 4.5 cm in size.(Please attach clear photographs with the full front face, both ears visible, without covering the face by the hair and without spectacles. Photographs should be taken within 03 months. Should not be gloss or semi-gloss.)
- Original Birth Certificate and its photocopy.
- Original Sri Lanka National Identity Card and its photocopy
- Original Marriage Certificate (only for female applicants if the surname of the husband should be included in the passport: Optional).
- Copy of the Dual Citizenship Certificate (Those who have dual citizenship)
- Copy of renunciation Certificate for applicants who are born abroad and aged more than 21 years.
- *If the originals of the above are not with you please submit photocopies of the same.
- Police Report with Legal English Translation
- Copy of the lost passport
2. Instructions for Filling
- The application should be filled preferably in BLOCK letters
- Three photographs should be furnished as specified in the application. Please ensure that the signatures are confined to the cages provided immediately below the photographs
- If your signature has changed, please provide a consent letter.
- New Passport for a lost Passport (with a photocopy of the lost passport): QAR 1360/-.
- New Passport for a lost Passport (without a copy of the passport): QAR 1720/-
4. Additional Notes
The new passport will be issued within 40 to 60 days after the direction of the duly submitted applications to the Department of Immigration and Emigration of Sri Lanka. However, kindly note that the Department of Immigration and Emigration has the discretion to consider certain criteria (which include discrepancies in the photographs, the NIC number submitted are and etc.) prior to issuance of a travel document and hence the time taken for the receipt of your travel document is subject to vary.
PLEASE NOTE THAT THE APPLICANT SHOULD PHYSICALLY BE PRESENT ALONG WITH THE CURRENT PASSPORT TO SUBMIT THE APPLICATION AND FOR COLLECTION AS WELL.
Emergency Travel Documents / Non-Machine Readable Passports (NMRP) – in Lieu of a Lost Passport
- A Non Machine Readable Passport (NMRP) can be issued in lieu of a lost passport of a Sri Lankan national, ONLY to return to Sri Lanka.
- However, if the Embassy has accepted an application in lieu of a passport which is expired or lost and the applicant required a Travel Document for Emergency Traveling ONLY to return to Sri Lanka, NMRP may issue as a stop gap travel document until the renewed passport is received.
2. Documents Required
- Letter requesting an Emergency passport
- Duly filled Application ‘K-35 A’ Download Here
- If the passport is lost [Download Application Form “B” and Form “C” Below]
- Three clear photographs with blue background 3.5 x 4.5 cm in size.
(Please attach clear photographs with the full front face, both ears visible, without covering the face by the hair and without spectacles. Photographs should be taken within 03 months. Should not be gloss or semi-gloss)
- Expired passport or if lost copy of lost passport
- Police report (If the passport is lost) with a Legal English Translation
- A copy of the Sri Lankan ID card or a copy of the Sri Lankan ORIGINAL Sinhala Birth Certificate.
- NMR Passport– QAR 220/-
- NMRP– QAR 130/- (If applied with the Original Passport)